cygraphics@aol.com

I realized early in the week that this will not be finished for Oasis next month.

I realized early in the week that this will not be finished for Oasis next month.

Three things made this fact clear.

Three things made this fact clear.
One I did not want to rush after spending so much time on it, two my daughter's wedding is here next weekend, and three it is so heavy that it would over-load my van.

Still managed some finishing on it.

Still managed some finishing on it.

It is cedar.

It is cedar.

The fish will have a glass orange eye.

The fish will have a glass orange eye.

This dragonfly still needs a lot of finishing.

This dragonfly still needs a lot of finishing.

I am liking the way this guy is turning out.

I am liking the way this guy is turning out.

I also reworked an older piece "Pele Lani"

I also reworked an older piece "Pele Lani"
She is the hawaiian goddess of volcanos, lightening, and general mayhem.

I hollowed the top back and will add a red volcanic light.

I hollowed the top back and will add a red volcanic light.

I framed the Tiki Central art swap piece.

I framed the Tiki Central art swap piece.
The subject was aliens, robots, tikis and since tikiphiles are so into nostalgia I went with the Jetsons and added tiki garb.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Two of my favorite musicians, Mike P. and Trevor D. were in town yesterday so it was with great anticipation that I went to see Tomahawk at the Wonder Ballroom. It pains me to give them a bad review but I gots to call 'em as I sees 'em. Uninspiring, expensive, routine, with the only spontaneity coming when the singer's mike went dead for a few seconds, it seemed this show was the exact show they will do tomorrow and exact show they did the night before. They played as individuals rather than as a team and add to that the obnoxious 20 minute continuous loop of the tomahawk chop chant they played before coming on that made for a rather disappointing evening. Trevor is still the best bass player I have ever seen though, and I did like the opening band Retox.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

"Orson"

"Orson"

The top.

The top.

"Tsuga"

"Tsuga"

"Ben"

"Ben"

Lighting by TikiSkip.

Lighting by TikiSkip.

"Dyson"

"Dyson"

"Lonnie"

"Lonnie"

Tiki Central Swap

Tiki Central Swap

"Orville"

"Orville"

"Makemake"

"Makemake"

"Tika"

"Tika"

"Nelson"

"Nelson"

"Maka Puke"

"Maka Puke"

"La Tsunami"

"La Tsunami"

"Barry"

"Barry"

This is a bass wood sign I did for a Columbus, Ohio based designer of cool tiki bar lighting.

"Lauderdale"

"Lauderdale"

"Eaton"

"Eaton"

"Bernie"

"Bernie"

"Ron"

"Ron"

"Stu"

"Stu"

"Surfin' Bird"

"Surfin' Bird"

"'Ohiki" (Hawaiian for sand crab)

"'Ohiki" (Hawaiian for sand crab)

"Power"

"Power"

"Juan and Atu"

"Juan and Atu"

"Beatrice and Giovanni"

"Beatrice and Giovanni"

"Airic"

"Airic"

"Bob"

"Bob"
One of my personal favs.

"Jared"

"Jared"
Rhymes with Scared.

"Toma"

"Toma"
And this is my favorite as I like his bad attitude.

"Tiki Kabob"

"Tiki Kabob"

"Tiki Kabob 2"

"Tiki Kabob 2"

"Flip"

"Flip"
Named Flip because he is wearing flip flops.

"Paddleman"

"Paddleman"

"Lucy"

"Lucy"

"Growth Pole"

"Growth Pole"

"Kit"

"Kit"
This is a memorial tiki for a friend.

The Real Jimbo

The Real Jimbo
Thanks a lot to Jimbo Wallace. He is the bass player for Reverend Horton Heat and they purchased this tiki and took him home to Texas.

"Sufferin' Bastard"

"Sufferin' Bastard"
Four color screen print.

"Black Clouds"

"Black Clouds"
8 color screen print.

"Two Tikis"

"Two Tikis"
8 color screen print.

"Brett Lambo"

"Brett Lambo"
8 color screen print done for the Skootiki show here in Portland.

Jimbo, Claude, Juan and Atu, Lombardo, and Airic.

Jimbo, Claude, Juan and Atu, Lombardo, and Airic.

My favorite carving tools.

My favorite carving tools.

"Lombardo"

"Lombardo"
He does use Polident but don't make fun of him.

"Jimbo"

"Jimbo"
It took most of a year but he is done. He is named after the Reverend Horton Heat's bass player.

He is a made from cedar.

Legba and Mehevi guarding their new digs in the Phillippines.

"Claude"

"Claude"

"El Boracho"

"El Boracho"

"Hans"

"Hans"
Named by my 9 year old nephew, Max, this was made in 2001 but I never photographed it till now.

Whitey's Frog

Whitey's Frog

Legba

Legba

Legbas backside

Screen printed voodoo symbols on Legba

Mehevi

Mehevi
His name comes from a great book titled "Typee" by Herman Melville

Group photo

Group photo

Flip

Flip

The back of Flip

Ali'i

Ali'i

Dick (Deadeye)

Dick (Deadeye)
mouth and top light up

Willard and Ben

Willard and Ben
Palm

Gus

Gus
Here's an odd little guy, named for gusto as in "go for the." Also bite off more than you can chew. Why have a little when you can have a lot?

"Dong Clock"

"Dong Clock"

Felix

Felix

Orin

Orin

Frog Island Tikis

Frog Island Tikis

Loading...

About Me

I started carving tikis in 2000 after a trip to Maui. I love and appreciate Polynesian culture, but rather than follow traditional ways, I put my own rather twisted view on the matter. I build each tiki with a protective edge to watch over the owner's well being. Most of them are of redwood or cedar, but my brother-in-law Jimbo brings me excellent palm from California. I start with a chainsaw and then really get into them with chisels, files, and knives. I have read that the ONLY way to breath life into an idol is through use of hand tools, but if primitive man had access to a chainsaw I know he would have used it. Tikis are for fun. Mahalo- CY